Friday, May 24, 2013

Monopoly

I had to return to the DMV after paying $50 for a smog check (which is a total racket--my car is only 4.5 years old, it doesn't need a smog check). I was informed that my registration fee is now $239, up from the $156 it was Monday. I showed her my print-out and politely said she must be mistaken. She assured me she wasn't. I asked what could possibly be the reason for an $83 increase. She smugly told me it was my fault for not paying on Monday, even though on Monday they told me I would have to come back with my smog check before I could register my car. 

No compassion, no empathy, no humanity. Just a self-satisfied grin knowing that she has 100% power in this exchange. There is no recourse for me, I have no alternative, I am not a customer, I am not even a valuable individual. I am disposable citizen # A050, and if I don't pay up eventually, they'll happily throw me in a cage and get their $239 from citizen # A051.

No comments:

Post a Comment