Thursday, February 6, 2014

Seriously, so what?


When I talk about my support for completely ending prohibition, I often mention the fact that I have never used any of the drugs the government currently prohibits. I do that to preempt the dismissal that I'm just some guy who wants to get high. 

But even if that was what I wanted, so what? I drink alcohol for the purpose of altering my consciousness, and so do the rest of people I know who enjoy having a drink. I also love the taste of great beer, but that's certainly not the only reason why I just paid $5.99 to get 22 ounces of it from Trader Joe's, and I doubt it's why over 250,000,000 cases of Bud Light were sold in the U.S. last year. 

There are many reasons, both economic and practical, to end the War on Drugs. This is the moral case: government officials locking a human being in a cage because they choose to put a substance in their own body that some authoritarian politician decides should be illegal is just about as wrong as it gets.

1 comment: